lipidating proteins

Mick Partis mick.partis at hri.ac.uk
Fri Sep 27 05:52:11 EST 1996

It is not clear to me what you mean by 'lipidate'.  I suspect that it is
not clear to your enquirer either!  If you mean replacing existing lipid
on a membrane protein by exogenous lipid, yes, this can be done by using
a detergent chromatography technique.  If you mean can you adsorb lipid
to a 'soluble' protein, the answer would have to be 'perhaps' - it
depends on the lipid and the protein (BSA is a good example).  If you
mean can you add lipid covalently, then the answer is 'probably', using
standard cross-linking techniques, or by derivatizing the lipid.  It
would be difficult to give a definitive answer without more details.

--
mick.partis at hri.ac.uk         Horticulture Research International
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1957/