Purification of RNA

NJH at mail.nerc-oxford.ac.uk NJH at mail.nerc-oxford.ac.uk
Mon Sep 30 16:52:51 EST 1996

In article <52hd7m$o98 at netnews.upenn.edu> satish at a.chem.upenn.edu (Satish Nair) writes:
>From: satish at a.chem.upenn.edu (Satish Nair)
>Subject: Purification of RNA
>Date: 27 Sep 1996 20:25:26 GMT

>Hello,

>Not sure if this is the right group for this but I thought I'd try my
>luck.  We l would like to purify large uquantities of RNA (5mgs) for
>our experiments.  I've been told that this would require splitting the
>samople up so that we'd need to run about 10 denaturing gels for
>purification.  This seems tedious; does anyone have a better approach to
>high resolution purification of enzymatically prepared RNA?  Thanks,

>satish nair

Hi,

You could try HPLC. See Anderson et al (1996) HPLC purification of RNA for
crystallography and NMR. RNA 2:110-117.

There have been a few other publications about HPLC purification of RNA but I
don't have the refs. One was in BioTechniques.

Hope this helps.

Nigel Horscroft
Institute of Virology and Environmental Microbiology
Oxford