Streaking of SDS-PAGE samples

Scott McMahan mcmahan at
Thu Jan 23 01:18:31 EST 1997

I was having problems recently with the samples of my Tris-Tricine
SDS-PAGE/Westerns streaking vertically.  After checking the usual suspects
(old sample buffer, precipitated sample, etc.)  I found a few protocol
books mentioning that turning the current down sometimes helps this
problem.  When I did that, it did drastically decrease the streaking, but
really increased the running time.  I was wondering if anyone knew what
phenomenon is causing this streaking, and is there some other way of
correcting it so I can run my gels faster again.

                                         Scott McMahan
                                         mcmahan at