protein purification

Thomas Urbig at
Tue Jul 22 09:58:54 EST 1997

In article <33D36EB8.68AA at>, Wildwind
<swvong at> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have extracted protein for 1-D electrophoresis in plant tissue and
> have had no problems in the past. However, recently (in seed tissue) I
> have had severe streaking throughout the entire gels (not just in the
> lanes) following staining, making detection of bands impossible. I asked
> several co-workers who believe it may be polysaccharides in the sample
> buffer. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem? It
> would be appreciated.
> Thanks

I would agree on the polysaccaride theory. If you´re working with the
membrane fraction, make a centrifugation an resuspend only the top of the
pellet leaving the whitish lower pellet. Sometimes you have to repeat this
washing step. It helps if you use the second step a small bore tube. If
you are working with the soluble fraction just make a high speed
centrifugation, that should do it.
Hope that helps

Thomas Urbig
Urbig at