How to show that the proteins are really labeled?

Phil Calvert calvert at eos.ncsu.edu
Wed Jul 30 18:19:44 EST 1997

In article <5rnko6$qm8 at falcon.le.ac.uk>, "Dr E. Buxbaum" <EB15 at le.ac.uk> wrote:

> The phenol can be removed by extraction with diethyl ether (2 times twice
> the volume of your sample). This will leave proteins in the small amount
> of water which was dissolved in the phenol.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I am aware of that method.  I even used it once
about a year ago.  However, I don't really trust it.  When I used the
method I got a lot of fluffy precipitate which wasn't expected (the paper
first describing the method doesn't mention it).  Although I don't have
proof, I suspect that the diethyl ether may be denaturing the protein.
Maybe not all the protein, but it is plausible that some of the protein
could be denatured by this procedure.

--