Radius of Gyration

Jim Litts littsj at zgi.com
Thu Mar 6 17:05:28 EST 1997

In article <331DAAB6.11BF at mail.utexas.edu>, brettsp at mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> Does anyone have a good reference on determining a proteins radius of
> gyration. I do not know much about this and I do not know what has to be
> known about the protein before this can be done, ie do you have to know
> the crystal structure of the protein first?
Try Physical Chemistry of Macromolecules, by Charles Tanford.
If I remember correctly, and it's been a while, it's a statistically
defined parameter that describes the sphere swept out by the "mass
elements" of the peptide chain (or other atoms of whatever molecule).  IF I
remember correctly it's the radius measured in light scattering
experiments, though there are other ways.

Jim Litts
Zymogenetic, Inc.
Seattle, WA USA
My comments are my own and not my employer's.