proteins in algae

ellen meijer Ellen.Meijer at ALGEMEEN.PK.WAU.NL
Tue Mar 25 09:40:04 EST 1997

Hallo everybody,

I try to isolate total (intracellular and membrane bound) proteins from
Chlorella, an algae. By the method of Kjeldahl I get a recovery of 50%
protein  from dryweight. The disadvantage of this method is that you need a
lot of material and in the future we will have only a few ml. By boiling the
cells in 0.1 N NaOH I cannot find back more than 5 %.
Does somebody know how to improve this? Or does somebody know another
isolation method?

Ellen Meijer
Agricultural University of Wageningen,
the Netherlands