Protein Identification

peter pxpst2+ at pitt.edu
Fri May 9 15:18:58 EST 1997

/In article <3373A5D6.4C42 at rutchem.rutgers.edu>, hall at rutchem.rutgers.edu wrote:

/> What is the basic way to absolutely determine an unknown protein?  We
/> are using SEC to separate human proteins from plasma.  How can we
/> absolutely determine the molecular weight of these proteins and identify
/> them.
/> Thanks for your help,
/> Gene
  You must use sedimentation and SEC.  Due to tertiary structure either
method could give errors.   By the way SEC is good for big proteins it
stinks for small or heavily folded proteins (ie kringle containing
proteins).  Also there is the glycosylaton which will introduce errors in
the sedintation method( alters bouyency).
The only way to nail down the mass is to partially sequence the protein
and then go to a cDNA library and get the cDNA and sequence it. but the
above two methods will give you a good idea.
Peter Pediaditakis  pxpst2 at vms.cis.pitt.edu