The effect of ethanol on the activity of pepsin

SpaceboY andre at pumpkin.idiscover.co.uk
Fri May 9 18:21:18 EST 1997

Can someone explain how ethanol may affect the activity of pepsin.  I have
found that the rate of reaction catalysed by pepsin is greatly reduced even
by adding ethanol of just 1% concentration.  This seems to suggest that
only a small percentage of alcohol reaches the gut when someone drinks an
alcoholic drink, otherwise pepsin would be nearly totally inactive.  If
anyone could give me some ideas, or point me toward relevant literature, I
owuld greatly appreciate it.

Andre.