Buffer for lyophylization

Angela C. Murphy dg628 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
Fri May 9 15:33:12 EST 1997

It depends on what you mean by "salt".  Any acid will form a salt with
free amino groups, including the C-terminus of a peptide or protein.
You will have to go above the pI of a peptide or protein to have most
or all of the amino groups as free bases.  If you want to accomplish this
with something volatile, you might try ammonium bicarbonate or dilute
ammonia.  If you don't care about whether the amino groups form salts, then
dilute acetic acid or TFA or triethylammonium acetate or trifluoracetate or
ammonium acetate or trifluoracetate will do.
Angela C. Murphy

Michael DiDonato (michael.didonato at utoronto.ca) writes:
> I am wondering if anyone knows which is the best buffer to lyophylize from?
> Excluding water, what buffer would leave beind the least amount of salt
> upon lyophylization?
>
> Any suggestions are extremely appreciated.
>
> Mike
>
> --
> Michael DiDonato
> Department of Biochemistry Research