The effect of ethanol on the activity of pepsin

Marcus, Dr J. J.Marcus at
Sun May 11 17:38:36 EST 1997

Have you looked at the effect of ethanol on other enzymes.
It really does not take much organic solvent to destroy
activity.  Your thought about inhibition of pepsin is

> Can someone explain how ethanol may affect the activity of pepsin.  I have
> found that the rate of reaction catalysed by pepsin is greatly reduced even
> by adding ethanol of just 1% concentration.  This seems to suggest that
> only a small percentage of alcohol reaches the gut when someone drinks an
> alcoholic drink, otherwise pepsin would be nearly totally inactive.  If
> anyone could give me some ideas, or point me toward relevant literature, I
> owuld greatly appreciate it.
> Andre.

John Marcus            Marcus at (Dr J.Marcus)
Cooperative Research Centre for Tropical Plant Pathology
5th Level John Hines Building
University of Queensland
St. Lucia, QLD 4072

Fax: 61-7-3365-4771