Protein Identification

Andrew Wallace a.wallace at see.signature.qub.ac.uk
Tue May 13 07:11:28 EST 1997

Gene S. Hall wrote:

> What is the basic way to absolutely determine an unknown protein?  We
> are using SEC to separate human proteins from plasma.  How can we
> absolutely determine the molecular weight of these proteins and identify
> them.
> Thanks for your help,
> Gene

You might also consider electrospray or time-of-flight mass spectrometry
(e.g. MALDI-TOF). It is even possible to determine the amino acid
sequence of the protein using MS-MS or the new ion trap instruments if
it is not too large (>200 kDa). One person mentioned sequencing the cDNA
but this will not take account of post-translational modifications.

Andrew
--
- note antispam feature in header. My real address is: