Protein Identification

Nancy Vogelaar gc at
Mon May 12 20:06:54 EST 1997

> Gene S. Hall (hall at RUTCHEM.RUTGERS.EDU) wrote:
> > What is the basic way to absolutely determine an unknown protein?  We
> > are using SEC to separate human proteins from plasma.  How can we
> > absolutely determine the molecular weight of these proteins and identify
> > them.

Missed the beginning of this discussion and my apologies if this is
redundant.  If one has an idea of the protein's molecular weight
and pI (via 2D gel for instance) there is a database which can
suggest potential proteins.  I think it should contain many human
plasma proteins.

Nancy Vogelaar
Protein Crystallography
Department of Chemistry			Phone: (609) 258-2927
Princeton University			Fax:   (609) 258-6746
Princeton, NJ 08544			email:  gc at