Silver Staining/IPG electrophoresis

Peter J. Wirth peter_wirth at nih.gov
Tue May 27 13:22:29 EST 1997

We are currently performing Immobilized pH gradient 2D-PAGE using
commerically available IPG gel strips cast on GelBond PAGfilm in the
frist dimension.  In the second dimension we are using ExcelGel XL SDS
precast polyacrylamide gels for horizontal electrophoresis.  Although we
have obtained very high resolution protein maps with silver staining
(Hochstrasser method) for spot visualization we have encountered heavy
"mirroring" of Ag on the back of the GelBond surface.  Does anyone know
of any methods or modifications to the silver staining procedure to
eliminate this problem.

---- peter wirth