6M Guanidine HCl and IEC

Simon Easterbrook-Smith sbe at biochem.usyd.edu.au
Mon May 26 23:00:24 EST 1997

Umm..., do you *really* intend to use guanidineHCl in ion exchange? It is
ionic - ie, 6 M guanidineHCl will ionise in aqueous solution to give 6 M
guanidine+ and 6 M Cl-. I would be surprised if any protein could bind to
an IEX column under such conditions.

In article <5mdool$l63$1 at woodstock.socs.uts.EDU.AU>, Peter Hains
<peter at indy.bio.uts.edu.au> wrote:

|| Hello all,
|| I was wondering if anybody knows for sure if you can deionise 6M
|| guanidine HCl for use in ion-exchange chromatography the way you can with
|| 8M urea. I have tried 8M urea but I am not convinced that it fully
|| denatures the proteins and I know that 6M Gdn HCl does.
|| Thanks in advance, Peter.

Simon
Dr Simon B Easterbrook-Smith    Voice: (+) 612 9351 3905
Department of Biochemistry      FAX: (+) 612 9351 4726
University of Sydney            Email: sbe at biochem.usyd.edu.au
Sydney NSW 2006
AUSTRALIA
Under U.S. Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, ß227, all
unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to my address from a U.S. account is
subject to a fee of $500.00 U.S. By E-mailing me you accept these terms.
cf. <http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html>