tyrosine repeat

Marcus, Dr J. J.Marcus at botany.uq.edu.au
Wed May 28 17:47:01 EST 1997

Hi Sebastian,
     I don't know of specific proteins that meet your
criteria but I just raise the possibility that the
tyrosines might be contained in an alpha helical region of
your protein.  If that were the case then, it is then
possible (somewhat likely) that the tyr side chains would
be found on one face of the helix.  In a helix-turn-helix
situation, the helix interactions with each other could
then be stabilized by a tyrosine from one helix interacting
with a tyr (or phe) on the other helical segment.  Just a
wild idea.  Hope it helps.

John

> In a protein that interests me (the yeast Sec22p) there is a strange
> repeat of tyrosines spaced _eight_ residues apart (repeated nine times
> or so). This seems to occur in several other proteins but I cannot find
> a common theme to them. This repeat is not listed in the Prosite
> database, and I am wondering how I can find out if anyone has looked at
> this before (I had no lucjk searching medline), or who I can talk to
> about this.
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sebastian.

John Marcus            Marcus at tpp.uq.edu.au (Dr J.Marcus)
Cooperative Research Centre for Tropical Plant Pathology
5th Level John Hines Building
University of Queensland
St. Lucia, QLD 4072
AUSTRALIA