Domains with more than one function

Mathias Holpert s88891 at
Mon Nov 3 18:55:18 EST 1997

On Mon, 03 Nov 1997 21:10:59 +0000, drm21 at (David
Micklem) wrote:

>Ideally, I'm looking for examples of a motif (or domain) which has a well
>characterised function (eg Zn-fingers and DNA binding) in most proteins,
>but which has been shown to have another function (eg protein-protein
>interaction) in other proteins.
>(I used the Zn-finger example because I vaguely recall hearing that this
>was true of Zn-fingers - but I haven't been able to track down a
>Many thanks for any assistance (and no, I'm not an student trying to cheat
>on exam/essay questions!)

Hi David,

one example I can recall is the LAGLI-DADG motif which has been found
in several intron-encoded proteins. It is thoght to be involved in
dsDNA endonuclease and in RNA maturase function.
But this is not a perfect example: this motif hasn´t been shown to be
directly involved in catalysis yet.

Hope this helps