Electron microscopy of proteins

David Green dfgreen at lms.mit.edu
Thu Aug 6 08:21:22 EST 1998

Dr. Christian Kupfer wrote:

> I have some EM-Pictures of protein-komplexes bound to DNA.
> I can determine the size of the proteins in angstroms, because
> I know the size of the DNA.
> Is there anybody who can tell me how to determine the molecular
> mass just by knowing the radius in angstroms? Or is there any good
> review/ book out there where I can find answers?
> thanks in advance
>         christian

 You could get a rough estimate by assuming close packing in the protein
to calculate the expected number of heavy atoms and then plug in an
average heavy atom mass (14 is probably a good number).  Note that this
will only give you only an estimate of the mass (maybe to an order of

David F. Green
Department of Chemistry
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Ave., Rm. 6-133