Protein Identificated

David Kirke david.kirke at virgin.net
Mon Aug 31 09:54:59 EST 1998

If you know the molecular weight of your protein, you could look at it on a
zymogram gel.  This is a non-denaturing gel containing caesin or gelatine.
After running, the gel is incubated for a few hours in a suitable buffer to
allow any proteolysis to occur.  The gel is then stained with coomassie
blue.  The caesin or gelatine background will be stained blue and any
proteases present will appear as clear bands.

These gels are usually quite sensitive and you should be able to see whether
the protease band corresponds to the molecular weight of your protein.  You
will have to run prestained molecular weight markers which will show up on
the blue background.

Good Luck

David Kirke