Glysosylation and western blot

Kai Lehmann stu30142 at
Thu Jan 22 13:28:24 EST 1998

"Christophe GUENIN" <christophe.guenin at> wrote:

>I would like to know when a protein have a site of glycosylation.
>Does anybody  know if its migration in gel SDS is more quickly ?
>My protein have a molecular weight of 51 kDa.
>With a gel she has a molecular weight of 40 kDa.
>Does anybody know  the phenomenon ?
>Thanks to give me explanation and  bibliographic references.
>Paris France.
>christophe.guenin at

I am working with glycosylated Albumin and the glycosylation increases
the MW in SDS-PAGE. It is commonly thought that this behaviour is due
to interaction of the glycosylated protein with the gelmatrix rather
than caused by a real increase in MW. If your protein seems to have a
lower MW after glycosylation, it maybe has changed its confirmation.

    Kai Lehmann         stu30142 at