TCA precipitation

Peter Pediaditakis pxpst2 at
Fri Jan 30 09:55:04 EST 1998

In article <01bd2cfc$c93f6e00$0e3163c3 at f.--j.beal>, "Jane Beal"
<J.D.Beal at> wrote:

> Hi All
> Does anybody know how small, in terms of M.W or AA residues, a peptide has
> to be before it is soluble in TCA or sulphosalycilic acid.  Does solubility
> in these reagents depend on the source of protein.

A lose approximation would be 20 KD.  But the bigest problem with TCA is
that proteins of similar molecular mass may precipitate differently in
TCA.  Thus if you had a mixture of proteins some will come down while
others do not.  Factors influencing TCA precipitation include
Glycosylation(reduces efficiency), Hydrophobicity and others.
I think that the Wessel Fluege method is better and the Phenol Ether
method is better

reference:  Concentration of Dilute Protein for Gel Electrophoresis, Anal.
Biochem., 226, 382-383 (1995)

Also TCA stored for a while can breakdown and form HCl which can hydrolyze
your protein

Peter Pediaditakis

"Don't you eat that yellow snow
    WAtch out where the Huskies go"

Let us not forget those marketing boys from SPAM CENTRAL

bestrealtor at
info at
clickthru at
invite at