Searching for a company "Rent A scientist"

John Philo "jphilo*NO SPAM12*" at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 6 14:54:23 EST 1998

Christian Reiser, PhD wrote:

> Hi,
> does anybody know a company renting scientists or facilities for solving
> problems in life science, biochemistry, microbiology (theme "Rent A
> Scientist") eg. overexpression and purification of a protein ?
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Chris
>
> Christian Reiser, PhD
> Med. IV, Nephrology
> Loschgestr. 8
> D-91054 Erlangen
> Germany

That is an awfully broad question!  What you are talking about is
generally called a contract research or contract manufacturing
organization (CRO or CMO), and there are hundreds, if not thousands, of
them.  For example, my company Alliance Protein Laboratories does
protein purification (microgram to gram scale) and biophysical
characterization of proteins on a contract basis.

It is not clear what you mean by "solving problems".  That sounds more
like something for a consultant.  There are hundreds of
biotech/pharmaceutical consultants, and many CRO companies also do
consulting (as mine does).

If what you are looking for is to give someone a gene and have them
express and purify it, there are certainly companies out there that will
do that.  I don't offhand know any in Germany, but there should be one
or more.  Try searching for "contract research" AND "protein" on the
Internet, and the web pages of organizations such as the Biotechnology
Industry Association (www.bio.org) or the Drug Industry Association
(www.diahome.org).  The latter has a database of hundreds of CROs,
although most are providers of clinical trials or work with small
molecules rather than proteins.

John Philo, Alliance Protein Laboratories

*** Remove "*NO SPAM12*" from return address before replying. ***