Nomenclature of numbering of amino acids

Are Kristiansen akristiansen at pronova.no
Thu Jul 9 01:24:48 EST 1998

Hallo,

I have received the proof of an article to be published in BBA. As I do
not have immediate access to recent editions of the journal and I am
already late in returning the proof, I direct the question to this
newsgroup:

The journal has superscripted all numbers of amino acids. Instead of for
example Trp28, it reads Trp<superscript:28>, i.e. the amino acid (Trp)
is normal font, but the number (28) is superscript.

I suppose this is a misunderstanding in the typesetting, or is it common
to "superscript" numbers of amino acids?

Are Kristiansen
R&D Scientist
Pronova Biomedical
Gaustadalleen 21