proteins with 30% homology should have the same general fold: reference for this ?

Dr. Ram Samudrala ram.samudrala at stanford.nojunkemail
Sat Jul 11 02:55:10 EST 1998

Eric Campeau <ecampe at po-box.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> every teacher in protein structure classes say that if a protein has a 30%
>homology to a related protein, it should have the same general fold.  However,
>they do do not cite the reference to this .... is there anybody that could give
>me the reference for this "fact" ?

Well, you can just do a few sequence comparisons for proteins with
known structure and see if the folds are the same.  So it's completely
testable. Though I'd add that this "rule" applies only to proteins in
nature and not to designed proteins (cf. the Parcelus challenge).

--Ram

email at urls  ||  http://www.ram.org  ||  http://www.twisted-helices.com/th
                                The dollar will never fall as low as what
                                           some people will do to get it.
                                                      ---Alfred E. Neuman