Biocatalysis & Bioprocessing Conference - 10/26/98

J. M. Koskey jmkoskey at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Tue Jul 21 12:13:47 EST 1998

Plans are set for the Seventh Biocatalysis and Bioprocessing Conference
which will be held on October 26 - 28, 1998 at the Iowa Memorial Union
on The University of Iowa campus.  Last year nearly 100 industrial
scientists from the USA and abroad attended our meeting.  The meeting
this year is entitled "Biocatalysis and Bioremediation: Microbes,
Mechanisms and Molecules".  The schedule will feature Dr. David Gibson
and Dr. Tonya Peeples from Iowa, as well as outside invited speakers
including Dr. John Lipscomb, University of Minnesota, Department of
Biochemistry; Dr. Armand J. Fulco from UCLA School of Medicine; Dr. T.
Kent Kirk from University of Wisconsin, Department of Microbiology; and
Dr. Daniel J. Monticello from Energy Biosystems Inc., The Woodlands,
TX.  Seven top student presentations will be selected from abstracts
submitted by fellows and other graduate students.

An exciting addition to this year’s conference is a minisymposium
organized in conjunction with our National Science Foundation Research
Training Program "Gene Expression and Bioremediation".  The
minisymposium features invited speakers Dr. Lisa Alvarez-Cohen,
University of California, Dr. Jim Spain, Tyndall Air Force Base and Dr.
Victor de Lorenzo from Spain.  A Vino e formaggio poster session with
more than 50 posters, and another fine dinner will round out an exciting
and busy meeting.

Come to the meeting this October!  It's a great time of the year to be
in Iowa.  Take a look at our biocatalysis and bioprocessing laboratory
which is now really humming!  Plan to present a poster describing some
of your own exciting biocatalysis or bioprocessing work.  Industrial
attendees presenting posters will receive a complimentary meeting
registration.

Looking forward to seeing you in Iowa City in October, Director John P.
N. Rosazza, Ph.D.

P.S. Please see our webpage at
http://www.uiowa.edu/~biocat/conference.htm  for further details about
schedules, registration forms, and other information.