Vaccuum dialysis?

Roger Murphy murphy_r at
Tue Jul 28 19:30:39 EST 1998

In the past I've used dialysis tubing to concentrate proteins by merely
hanging them in an air stream - like in a fume hood and leave the motor
running.  I guess this is a variation on what you're thinking of.  It worked
quite nicely (volume reduction of ~80%), but be careful of precipitation
problems of either your protein or salts if you caary it too far.

Hope this helps,

In article <i.mcfarlane-2807981850060001 at>,
i.mcfarlane at (Ian McFarlane) wrote:
>Once upon a time somebody mentioned that there was some trick with
>dialysis tubing and vaccuum that could be performed to concentrate
>proteins (flash dialysis?). Does anyone know how to do this or is my
>memory failing me?
>Ian Mc

Roger Murphy, Ph.D.
Biological Production Facility