Oligonucleotide definition

Peter pxpst2 at SPAM.SUXS.unixs.cis.pitt.edu
Wed Jul 29 14:51:47 EST 1998

In article <6pm24p$u8l$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, ruckeri at my-dejanews.com wrote:

> This is probably a very basic thing but I am reading about DNA probes
> (something that is new to me) and I am confused as to the exact definition of
> an oligonucleotide.  If anyone can help it would be most appreciated. Thank
> you.

The working definition is a single strand of DNA with more than one
nucleotide and less than a lot of nucleotides.  These are normally made by
a machine and are not more than ~40nt in length(but can be longer).
Peter

--
"Don't you eat that yellow snow
            watch out where the Huskies go"    FZ