SDS and Ni2+ resin

Antonin Tutter atutter at aim.salk.edu
Thu Jul 30 22:50:04 EST 1998

>What effect does SDS have on Ni2+ metal affinity columns. Does it merely
>interfere with the binding of the protein to the column or does it have
>some irreversible effect which would lead to the column being useless?

Low concentrations of SDS (0.01 - 0.03%) can help increase the stringency of
purification without denaturing the proteins.  I routinely use 0.03% SDS in
protein-binding reactions (in which native conformations are important) on
Ni++ resin to help cut down on non-specific protein interactions.

Antonin Tutter
Salk Institute for Biological Studies
RBIO-J
10010 N. Torrey Pines Rd.