eluting proteins from gels

Scott McMahan mcmahan at oncology.wisc.edu
Mon Jun 1 06:01:16 EST 1998

In article <pdxkgs-ya02408000R2805981759010001 at news>,
pdxkgs at pdn1.gene.nott.ac.uk (Karen spink) wrote:

:Recently, i have been dabbling in a bit of protein purification and on a
:coomasie gel i have only a few proteins, one in particular is stronger than
:the others. I wish to show that this stronger band is the protein
:responsible for activity I am detecting in the fraction. Is it feasible to
:simply elute this band from the SDS gel and assay this for activity, i.e.
:is there a simple way of eluting the protein directly from the gel with a
:good chance of renaturing the protein?
:
:Thanks in anticipation
:
:Karen Spink

Try looking at Hager & Burgess (1980) Anal. Biochem. 109, 76-86.

--
                                         Scott McMahan
                                         mcmahan at oncology.wisc.edu