Gradient separations of Organelles

John Ladasky jladasky at pmgm.Stanford.EDU
Tue Mar 3 14:53:45 EST 1998

In article <6dhim0$oqi$1 at news.duke.edu>,
William P. Tschantz <tschantz at galactose.mc.duke.edu> wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am looking for a reletively easy protocal to separate different membrane
>fractions by gradient centrifugation preferably using sucrose or percoll
>gradients.  Mostly want to separate PM, golgi, mitochondria and lysosomes.
>Any references to point me in the right direction would be greatly
>appreciated.

	Ira Mellman's group has succeeded in isolating endosomal organelles
using an electrophoresis technique.  I heard him speak in 1996, about the
time that Immunity 1996 Mar;4(3):229-239 came out, so you might want to
start with that reference.  I don't know whether this would suit your needs,
since you seem to want to use gradient centrifugation, but check it out.

	Good luck!

--
Rainforest laid low.
"Wake up and smell the ozone,"