Staining of PVDF after transfer?

Dr E. Buxbaum EB15 at le.ac.uk
Wed Mar 4 16:47:54 EST 1998

Junghans wrote:

> Hi
> I have a problem with staining of PVDF-membranes after western-blot
> transfer.
> How can I stain the marker or in general my proteins before
> immunodetection.

I would use prestained marker proteins, which are available commercialy
from Sigma, BioRad and other companies. Slightly more expensive than the
non-stained version, but  time saving and convenient. The "rainbow
markers" from BioRad are particularly convenient imho, as the different
proteins have different colours and can be easily and unambigously
identified, even if the gel has been left to run a little too long, so
that the front is no longer visible.