Electrophoresis of small proteins

Peter pxpst2 at vms.spam.suxs.cis.pitt.edu
Wed Mar 25 09:16:03 EST 1998

In article <mbzrl-250398072950 at pmbfjd0.nottingham.ac.uk>,
mbzrl at mbn1.biochem.nottingham.ac.uk (Rob) wrote:
> Does anyone know of any published papers in which proteins differing by
> only a single amino acid residue can be resolved by a gel electrophoresis
> system?

I routinely run gels that are high in acrylamide concentration(>15%) and
from my experience this might be possible for a very small protein(<2kd)
but,I would not trust the results and I think that if you tried to publish
with such an experiment you may have trouble with reviewers.
To solve the problem, I would use MS:MS spectrometer.  If the proteins are
less than ~20kd, The Mass spec. should easily answer your question.  I
have a freind who looks at MHC peptides(8-12aa) in this manner.  The
beuaty is that he has high throughput capabilities and easily interpreted
results.

--
"Don't you eat that yellow snow
            watch out where the Huskies go"    FZ