His-tagged proteins with less than six His

Georg Wille moqch at mlucom6.urz.uni-halle.de
Fri Oct 9 05:26:52 EST 1998

Dear Bionetters,

I'm about to attach an His-tag to the N-Terminus of a protein. Has anyone
ever heard of using _less_ than six residues successfully. I would like to
use as few as possible in order not to distort the enzymatic properties of
the protein too much and shifting its pI as little as possible.

The protein is a dimer and its N-termini are fairly close together, so maybe
three His at each N-Terminus are maybe almost as good as six.

Any experience? I would appreciate suggestions! Or maybe a reference to read
about this method.

Thanks a lot!

     Georg