?Why alkaline pH in protein refold?

lgbell lgbell at liv.ac.uk
Mon Oct 19 07:03:31 EST 1998

In article <3624020E.C612EAA5 at student.mahidol.ac.th>,
g3937506 at STUDENT1.MAHIDOL.AC.TH says...

>Dear all:
>
>Is it neccessary to refold a protein in alkaline pH?
>Does this prevent any chemical modification ?
>Thanks for all suggestion.
>
>Jongrak
>
>--
>-----------------------------------Mr. Jongrak Kittiworakarn
>                                   g3937506 at student.mahidol.ac.th

Well that depends.  An alkaline pH will facillitate the formation of
disulfide bridges (Cys-Cys) under atmospheric oxidation.  The
traditional assumption is that the thermodynamically stable
disulfide configuration is the same as the naturally occurring or
active one.  So I guess the rationale is that, the protein initially
re-folds according to its primary sequence and disulfide bridges, if
present, then form accordingly from atmospheric oxidation of Cys and
stabalise this final conformation.

Obviously if the protein does not contain Cys then under this
explanation the re-folding pH can be varied.  Obviously the optimuin
pH to use would be related to the environment the protein naturally
exists in or is biosynthesised in.

Hope this helps,
Len
lgbell at liv.ac.uk