MS and modifications

Thu Apr 1 16:45:30 EST 1999

On 22 Mar 1999 Kresten Lindorff Larsen <kresten at> asked
> Does anybody know of a web-site or paper where I can find a list of
> posttranslational modifications of proteins and the corresponding change in
> mass of the protein.
The PIR RESID Database of Protein Post-Translational Modifications is
available through
and is described at
The current release 17.00 contains 253 entries including 233 different
naturally occurring post-translational modifications.  The database entries
include average iostope residue weights, most-common isotope residue weights
and the weight differences from the encoded residue.

On 30 Mar 1999 Phil Dynamin <dynamin at> suggested the findmod
facility at Expasy.  That site lists only 26 modifications, provides program
access to only 22 modifications, and provides no descriptive, bibliographic or
structural information.
                                 Dr. John S. Garavelli
                                 Associate Director
                                 Protein Information Resource