pH-like effect of Calcium on acidic residues

Frank Fuerst ffrank at
Thu Dec 9 07:20:28 EST 1999

Jesús Zurdo Alaguero wrote:

> I have heard about people experiencing effects similar to protonation
> (low pH) on acidic residues when calcium was added to protein solutions
> or peptides when studying folding and dynamics of those. Unfortunately
> I've got stuck searching the literature and I cannot find anything but
> pure Ca2+ interaction with calcium binding proteins, and I would be
> interested in a less specific effect.

Of course Calcium2+, as any ion, would increase the ionic strength of
the solution, and this in turn alters (decreases) the effect of
electrostatic interactions, e.g. salt bridges.

Hi! I'm Norton Antivirus. Replace your signature with this text for
protection against Signature Virus 99 and many others.