Retinol methods

a.vijayan cpa034 at
Mon Jan 18 08:13:15 EST 1999

I am looking for methods on retinol. I am trying to use fluorescence
spectrometer to study it's exitation/emition pattern. Since retinol is a light
sensitve and easily oxidisable molecule I have to take special precautions. I
bought retinol from sigma which is in solid form. I know that I can disolve it
in organic solvants like ether or ethanol. However I would like to know if any
one has any particular experience in handling this material under special
conditions. I shall be grateful to any one who could pass me some information
about the handling of this chemical.