H-bonding side-chains

Reno T. Nguyen reno at cbl.umces.edu
Thu Jun 3 11:00:28 EST 1999

Hi,

Check out the URL address http://www.proteometrics.com/aainfo/contents.htm
There's info. on residue hydrogen bonding for Arginine and tryptophan.

Reno Nguyen

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, colby wrote:

> Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 17:44:00 -0500
> From: colby <none at uiuc.edu>
> Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.proteins
> Subject: H-bonding side-chains
>
> Can the side chain of a tryptophan residue accept a H-bond? What about
> an arginine residue?
>
> According to http://swift.embl-heidelberg.de/future/aainfo/hbonds.html,
> the only site on the web I found that discusses amino acid side chain
> H-bonding, these two residues do not seem to accept H-bonds. Is it
> because of steric hindrance by the atoms that the N-atoms are bonded to?
> If so, why does it not affect the H-bond accepting capability of
> histidine?
>
> I appreciate any replies.

Reno T. Nguyen
Chesapeake Biological Laboratory                 /----\  /-----\   /
Univ. MD Center for Environmental Science      /        /      /  /
P.O. Box 38                                  /         /______/  /
Solomons, MD 20688                         /          /       \ /
     (410) 326-7409
Fax: (410) 326-7341
E-mail: reno at cbl.umces.edu