Streptomycin-preciptation

Michael R. Thompson mthompson at pbi.nrc.ca
Thu Jun 10 12:22:12 EST 1999

I have used protamine sulphate to remove nucleic acids prior to isoelectric
focusing, or before purifying a recombinant enzyme. Dissolve protamine
sulphate powder in buffer and neutralize (it is quite acidic) before adding
to your protein prep. Use at a ratio (w:w) of about 1:30 of total protein.
Shake or rotate the vessel in the coldroom for about 1 hour, spin out the
precipitate afterwards. Seems to work well in both of my applications and
doesn't affect the activity of the enzyme. Protamine binds to all nucleic
acids, consequently it may also precipitate nucleic acid-binding proteins
(handy selective purification step in some applications). It may also
precipitate other proteins so you will have to check with yours.
Streptomycin precipitates ribosomes quite cleanly but doesn't remove DNA.