MolBio OS?

Richard P. Grant r_grant at see.sig.for.address
Tue Mar 2 06:20:09 EST 1999

In article <36DB7DBD.51B54998 at>, milton at wrote:

>I'm really interested in finding some information on what platforms
>people use in Molecular Biology... as I am currently having to grapple
>with this decision.
>What operating system do you use?

>What operating system would you prefer?

>What browser do you prefer?

>It's unfortunate when a platform communication barrier gets in the way
>of real research.

Seeing as most molbiol programs exchange data in a text formatof one sort
or another this is not  really a problem.

>"...time to decide."
>Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I would suggest that you pick the platform with which you are most
familiar/happy/most productive on.  If you find you're not fighting the
machine then your work will go more smoothly, and there is in fact a pile
of molbiol software for all the platforms (except possibly Amstrad (-: ).

Is your problem that you have no experience of different OSes or that
you're not being allowed to have your first choice?  Or something else?

Followups set.

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at
work:        |      home:
           -- Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci --