Protein Cross-Linking with DSP

Byung-Hoon Kim byung-hoon.kim at student.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri May 14 10:28:07 EST 1999

Hi all,

Is anybody experienced in protein cross-linking with DSP
(Dithiobis(succinimidyl propionate))?

Because of it's hydrophobic nature, I couldn't make it soluble.
I've done it as written in J. Mol. Biol. 104, 243 (1976) except that I
made a stock solution directly in DMF or DMSO instead of  in methylene
chloride. I've made the 0.1M stock solution in DMF or DMSO and prior to
cross-linking this was diluted 100 fold in PBS to yield 1mM solution for
protein cross-linking applications.I could get more or less transparent
solution but something  flotes on the surface of the solution. When I
centrifuge this, I can find a white pellet.

Can anybody help me?
Thanks in advance

Byung-Hoon Kim (PhD student)

Zentrum fuer MolekularBiologie der Pflanzen
Dept. of General Genetics
Univ. Tuebingen
Germany