Can proteinase inhibitors penetrate the cell membrane?

Cornelius Krasel krasel at
Tue Nov 16 14:28:48 EST 1999

Byung-Hoon Kim < at> wrote:
> Can proteinase inhibitors (Aprotinin, Leupeptin and Pepstatin) penetrate
> the cell membrane?

Leupeptin can be used to inhibit proteolysis in lysosomes (I have seen
several publications demonstrating this), but I think that it reaches them
by endocytosis, not through permeation of the plasma membrane.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: phak004 at  SP4 */