Expression of a 300kDa protein possible?

Richard P. Grant rgrant at
Mon Apr 3 02:43:30 EST 2000

In article <8c9djd$2jpi$1 at>, Christina Philipp
<philipp at> wrote:

> Hello Ng,
> until now, I tried two methods to express my protein:
> 1. TNT T7 Quick Coupled Transcription/Translation System (Promega).
> The luciferase control worked well, but I did not see my desired
> protein.
> 2. A "normal" expression (T7 promoter, induction with 1mM IPTG) in E.
> coli HMS174(DE3).
> Has anyone ever had success with the expression of such a large
> protein?

I successfully expressed a 220 kDa protein once, it required 1 % glucose
and 1 mM Mg2+ adding to the 2xTY (I kept getting premature termination
of translation) . . .  it may help you.

Richard P. Grant MAD Phil
Please reply to rpg 'at'

'There's a fine line between genius and just farting around'