Searching for a dependency of the maximum gas saturation in different viscous solutions

Mitchell Isaacs misaacs at student.usyd.edu.au
Wed Apr 12 11:21:30 EST 2000

It is my understanding that a solution can theoretically dissolve the same
amount of gas regardless of viscosity (if that is the only variable).

However, as can be learnt from vulcanology, viscosity may affect the
apparent solubility. Granitic, or high silica magmas are very viscous, and
have a much higher gas content (4-6%) than basaltic magmas which are lower
in silica (~1% gas).

This is due largely to the viscosity, and the fact that the viscous magmas
do not release the gas nearly as readily.

I would assume that the opposite effect can also be noticed, in that gases
will dissolve slower in a viscous solution, possibly to the extent that the
same concentration may not be reached in a practical time frame.

Cheers,
Mitchell

news:38F498A7.B43FBAD5 at biophysik.biologie.uni-mainz.de...