Slimy cell suspensions after lambda CE6 induction

Thu Dec 7 15:53:07 EST 2000

"Emir" <ekhatipo at NOSPAMmidway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
:I was inducing expression of a protein from a T7-type (pET11-based)
:construct in E.coli BLR cells with bacteriophage lambda CE6 that delivers T7
:polymeraze into the bacterial cell upon infection. I noticed that at a
:ration of phage to cells more than ~10 the frozen and then thawed and
:resuspended in a neutral buffer pellet would exhibit higher viscosity that
:non-phage induced cells, i.e., cells look lysed and the suspension is rather
:slimy. Does anybody have an explanation of this phenomenon? Lambda CE6 is
:not supposed to lyse BLR cells, and just lysogenizes them.

And naturally these infected cells are easier lysed upon freeze-thaw,
releasing DNA which is viscosous.

        - Dima