Slimy cell suspensions after lambda CE6 induction

Aldert Zomer zomeral at biol.rug.nl
Fri Dec 8 03:35:57 EST 2000

Emir wrote:

> I was inducing expression of a protein from a T7-type (pET11-based)
> construct in E.coli BLR cells with bacteriophage lambda CE6 that delivers T7
> polymeraze into the bacterial cell upon infection. I noticed that at a
> ration of phage to cells more than ~10 the frozen and then thawed and
> resuspended in a neutral buffer pellet would exhibit higher viscosity that
> non-phage induced cells, i.e., cells look lysed and the suspension is rather
> slimy. Does anybody have an explanation of this phenomenon? Lambda CE6 is
> not supposed to lyse BLR cells, and just lysogenizes them.
>
> Emir

The slimy stuff is probably chromosomal DNA from the E.coli. The thawing
and freezing may be responsible for the lysis.

--
Ing. Aldert Zomer,                      | Tel: +31 50 36 32 360
Research Technician,                    | Fax: +31 50 36 35 205
IMEnz Bioengineering,                   | Email: zomeral at biol.rug.nl
PO BOX 14, 9750 AA Haren, Netherlands   | Homepage: http://www.imenz.com
Automated Medline search:
http://molgen.biol.rug.nl/cgi-bin/biomail/users.pl