Purification of monomeric actin

Richard P. Grant rgrant at netscape.net
Tue Feb 8 10:52:58 EST 2000

In article <4txweIA4sCo4EAMY at genesys.demon.co.uk>, "Dr. Duncan Clark"
<Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Brilliant! Just what I was after.

<bows>  pleased to be of service.

> Now for the bunnies or should I juts
> go and get a few lb of primer beef steak :-). I don't suppose for the
> use I'm going to put it too that it will matter.

Hmm, any skeletal muscle should do.  Bunnies, cute, white, fluffy white
New Zealand bunnies are traditional because animal houses usually have a
surfeit of retired, fat, old animals, and it's good practice to take the
muscle when an animal is terminally bled for antisera.

It seems a waste of prime steak to make actin from it.   :))

You could use beef heart[0] I guess, but then you'd get smooth muscle
actin . . .

(who is intrigued - why do you want grams of G-actin?)

[0] Damn.  None of us here can remember what Captn Beefheart's hit was!

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil
Structural Studies Group, MRC-LMB
Please reply to rpg 'at' mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk