why

John Philo "jphilo*NO SPAM12*" at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 18 11:55:18 EST 2000

There could be a number of postranslational modifications, e.g. binding
of glutathione.

An excellent resource for this sort of question is the ABRF (Association
of Biotechnology Resource Facilities) e-mail list server. There is a LOT
of mass spec expertise there. Go to this web site,
http://www.abrf.org/ABRF/ListServe.html, to find the rules and address
for posting to that list. If you search the archives for that discussion
I think you will find the URL for a site that lists many, many
modifications as a function of the mass change they induce.

Good luck,

John Philo
Alliance Protein Laboratories
www.ap-lab.com