pH question!

Frank Fuerst ffrank at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Jan 4 12:33:35 EST 2000

Daniel M Brown wrote:

> Vernon Drake wrote:
>
> > Could someone tell me what the letters pH stand for?
>
> God, this takes me all the way back to Chemistry 101 a million
> years ago.  pH is shorthand for hydrogen potential, although I
> believe the original terminology was German, and it's been so
> long ago that I don't recall the German.

Well, I'm german, and there is no word for hydrogen in german that
begins with an h, it's called "Wasserstoff". Also Potential is now a
german word, but is still recognized as a foreign word. And if "101 a
million years ago" is well before 1900, then latin was the language of
science in Germany (and elsewhere), so pH should be latin, too (even
if first used by german scientists) and thus be "pons" or "potentialis
hydrogenii"

Frank
--
Flhacs wird im Usenet grundsätzlich alsfhc geschrieben. Schreibt man
lafhsc nicht slfach, so ist das schlichtweg hclafs. Hingegen darf man