pH question!

Achim Recktenwald, PhD ARecktenwald at StressGen.com
Wed Jan 5 19:36:11 EST 2000

'pH' stands for the Latin 'pondus hydrogenium', i.e., the weight/power of
hydrogen.

The term was coined and defined at the end of the 19th century by the Danish
chemist Sorensen (the 'o' in the name has a slash through it) and a
colleague, whose name I have forgotten.
They were  employed by the Carlsberg beer brewery in Copenhagen and  trying
to figure out the parameters causing bad brews. They discovered as one of
the most decisive parameters the hydrogen-ion concentration.

Microbiologists later discovered  that at high pH-values  yeasts do not grow
anaerobically and strains of the anaerobe bacterium Clostridium take over,
producing a rather foul smelling brew.

Cheers,

Achim

"Dima Klenchin" <klenchin at REMOVE_TO_REPLY.facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote in
message news:850ids$i4m$1 at news.doit.wisc.edu...